Raider Project Outdoor Climbing Retreat
The goal is at the top, but the task is right in front of you. You have to focus and be in the moment. One distraction, one look away, one thought on something else besides what is right in front of you; and you miss your next step. You have to focus on each hold, each step, and one inch at a time you will achieve your goal.
The Raider Project is offering a weekend outdoor rock climbing trip to veterans that are working through the rigors associated with transition out of the service. Previous trips have included top rope climbing of beautiful Windgate Sandstone face and crack climbs. We'll be teaching the basics of rope work, climbing techniques, and belaying. There will be camping, hiking, climbing, and rappelling.
THIS IS A WONDERFUL CHANCE TO GIVE VETERANS THE OPPORTUNITY TO UNWIND, build camaraderie and work together for a common goal.
THE PLAN (2016)
WE WILL BE FLYING INTO GRAND JUNCTION, CO. THEN, WE WILL DRIVE TO THE 16Z AREA WHICH IS ABOUT 3 HOURS SOUTH.
Day 1 Advance Party arrives GJ, picks up all gear, moves to 16Z to set up camp.
Day 2 Team arrives in GJ by 1500. We travel to 16Z campsite.
Day 2 Hike and climb all day.
Day 3 Hike and climb until 1500, pack up and head back to GJ for overnight stay.
Day 4 Fly out from GJ.
GEAR - WE WILL PROVIDE:
(10) sleeping bags - 20 degree bags
(10) sleep pads
(5) Backpacking (camping) Packages - includes
- 2 person tent
- MSR Stove w/ fuel
- cooking set
(10) Rock Climbing packages - includes
- climbing harness
- climbing shoes
(3) 5 gallon water jugs.
- Backpack for your weekend kit.
- Camelbak (or a container they can hike water with for the day)
- At least one extra set of clean clothes (extra socks)
- Lip balm (preferable with UV protection)
- Small towel
- Very light jacket in case the nights are cool
- Camera (optional)
- Small pillow
- Flip flops or your choice of camp shoes.
- Wet wipes